Zeitschriften der DMG digital

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sat Apr 18 18:08:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Steven Lindquist wrote:

> I use a Mac, but this must be the same or very similar on a PC.  I can
> right-click on each page and save each page as an image file.  Then, I can
> print each page separately from there (and most image programs can
> automatically scale the image to your paper size).

Yes, I tried this, but what got saved on the disk was the html wrapper,
without the digital image of the page.  But since you've had success,
there must be some way round it on a PC (winXP) too.

> Of course, this is cumbersome (but not obnoxiously so, especially if you have
> a fast internet connection).  For someone like me who doesn't have easy
> access to this journal (only through inter-library loan or a 4-5 hour drive),
> I think this free resource is fabulous and it strikes me as completely
> reasonable that they do not allow downloads.

Why is it reasonable to allow the above process but not a single download
of per-article PDFs?  Either they are releasing these materials or they
are not.  Since they are (and it's wonderful and we're all incredibly
grateful), then it would be kind of them to serve the needs of working
scholars more appropriately.  Like almost all other online journals, or
JSTOR, for example.

Best,
Dominik