rAjahaMsa in the ha?sasa?des ´a

victor van Bijlert victorvanbijlert at KPNPLANET.NL
Thu Apr 16 15:39:49 UTC 2009

That's why I suggested that the elevatedness of the swan for hansa may have
been inspired by readings of Plato's Phaedo.
Thank you anyway for the interesting references.
Victor van Bijlert

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] Namens John C. Huntington
Verzonden: donderdag 16 april 2009 15:40
Aan: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Onderwerp: Re: rAjahaMsa in the ha?sasa?des´a

The notion of a hamsa as a swan was completely discussed a year or so
ago on the Indo-european research loist and in that context I put up a
brief visual history of Hamsa on our website at:

http://huntingtonarchive.osu.edu/Hamsa/hamsa%20index.html

Ravi Varma was simply influenced by the British vision of hasma as
swan  ("How could a little goose be a devine bird when there are
swans?" I was once asked by a British "scholar" who shall go nameless)

if you search Google for Anser indicua you will find that the bird is
question is a very pretty and animated creature that might well
inspire a sense of divinity. for example see:

http://wildaboutbritain.org/drupal610/sites/default/files/images/birds/Bar-h
eaded%20Goose%20-%20Anser%20indicus.jpg

John