What happened when Brahmins became native Tamil speakers? (Re: "kaapya-" vs. "kaapeya-" (Re: Actual use of gotra (=vr.ddha) and yuvan

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Sun Apr 12 09:57:23 UTC 2009

Dear SP,

yes I remember of the discussions concerning "kApya" on Indology,
notably in March and April 1997 (twelve years ago).

I am aware of the existence of the poets (Kāppiyaṉ Cēntaṉār, Kāppiyāṟṟuk
Kāppiyaṉār) and grammarians (Tolkāppiyaṉ, Palkāppiyaṉ) which you
mentionned, and one could also add to the list the poet Veḷḷūrk
Kāppiyaṉ, who is mentionned as a member of the Middle Caṅkam in the
initial section of the commentary to the /Kaḷaviyal eṉṟa Iṟaiyaṉār
Akapporuḷ/.

One of the important studies (written in Tamil) where the origin and
formation of the name Tolkāppiyaṉ is discussed is the 1904 article
("Iṭaiccaṅkam") by M. Raghava Aiyangar, which is found on pp. 88-101
inside the 1938 collection of his articles (/Ārāyccit Tokuti/, reprint:
Tanjore Tamil University, 1984) . The most relevant page for the current
discussion might be p.97, where he connects Tamil and Sanskrit sources.

What I was trying to do, while starting the present thread, was to
acquire a more precise idea of what may have happened when Brahmins
became native Tamil speakers, after migrating to Tamil Nadu. And the
gotra-related vocabulary seemed to be a very important component on
which to concentrate.

Transparent flexional/morphological derivations (such as are seen in
Sanskrit) were becoming "opaque" in the new linguistic context and those
brahmins had to make choices regarding the way they should be publicly
addressed or referred to in the Tamil-speaking world (i.e. the /Tamiḻ
kūṟu nallulakam/).

One of the parameters for which I would like to have a more clear
understanding is the order of the components, inside names which have
several components.

For instance, in the Anbil South-Indian Inscription to which you refer
in your message (SII 8n no.196)
[found "on a pillar lying in front of the Vighnesvara Temple ..."], the
component "kāppiyan" (spelt with a dental "n" and not an alveolar "ṉ")
is found 5 times, and each time it is the first component in a long
name, all the long names ending with the coordinating particle "-um" so
that we have the sequence:

-- kāppiyan vaṭukaṅ kaṇattān vā[ciri]yum

-- kāppiyan centan m[ā]ṭamuṭaiyānum

-- kāppiyan centan muciṟi...nmaliyum

-- kāppiyan centan c[o]matevanum

-- kāppiyan vaṭukan tāmotiranum

On the other hand, in the literary sources mentionned before, the
"kāppiyaṉ" component comes last (see Kāppiyāṟṟuk Kāppiyaṉār, Veḷḷūrk
Kāppiyaṉ), the exception being Kāppiyaṉ Cēntaṉār.

There are rules in the Tolkāppiyam concerning the order of components in
long names (see for instance TC41c, as per the sūtra numbers inside the
/Cēṉāvaraiyam/) but I am not sure they are sufficient for
understanding/explaining all that we meet with in literature and in
inscriptions.

This is certainly a vast field for which a complete answer cannot be
obtained on a mailing list.

However, pointers to articles (and books) concerning the "syntax" of
long names in India are welcome.

Best wishes to all

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (Paris)