mana in heart or head?

Sven Sellmer sellmers at GMX.DE
Thu Apr 9 13:04:30 UTC 2009

A useful, but perhaps not so well known publication pertaining to this
question is:

Ernst Windisch, "Über den Sitz der denkenden Seele, besonders bei den
Indern und Griechen, und eine Etymologie von gr. πραπίδες
[prapídes]", in: Berichte über die Verhandlungen der königlich-
sächsischen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften zu Leipzip, Phil.-hist.
Classe, 43 (1891) 157-203.

Of the places discussed by Windisch, two that might point to a certain
association of head (though not brain) and mental functions may be of
special interest here:

1. In RV II 16,2 it is said of Indra: háste vájraṃ bhárati
śīrṣáṇi krátum, where most translators (but not Windisch
himself) understand krátu as "wisdom" or the like.

2. Sometimes the five prāṇas (= indriyāṇi) are located in the
head, and that includes also manas. One of the earliest instances
seems to be ŚBr IX 2,2,5: pañcadhāvihito vā 'yaṃ śīrṣan
prāṇo mano vāk prāṇaś cakṣuḥ śrotram (quoted after
Windisch, without accents).

I have the impression that the reason for the location of kratu and
manas in the head is their link to speech, which is necessarily
located there, but this would have to be verified.

Best wishes,
Sven Sellmer

Dr. Sven Sellmer
Adam Mickiewicz University