mana in heart or head?

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Apr 9 10:12:29 UTC 2009

Yes, you're right, Eli, of course.  Really, one is dealing with a quite
different model of the inner man.

By the by, the common phrase "body, mind, and spirit" is a categorization
that is never used in Sanskrit, to my knowledge.  It occurs so often in
secondary literature, but to me it is normally a sign that the writer is
not "thinking in Sanskrit".

And in your note below, "soul" translates buddhi? Or citta?

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, franco at RZ.UNI-LEIPZIG.DE wrote:

> I think one has to clarify what is meant by manas. The translation as "mind"
> is convenient, but does not convey the sense of "mind" in English. According
> to the major philosophical schools (Nyaya,Vaisesika,Mimamsa) the mind is as
> small as an atom and does not have a fixed location, but moves very quickly
> throughout the body: One can only feel or cognize something because the
> "mind" is there and is in contact with the soul. Although the soul is
> all-pervasive, its cognitions are limited to the place where the "mind" is
> located. There is only one place in the body, a special area in the heart
> called puriitat (mentioned also in the Brhadaranyakopanishad), which is
> exception to the rule. If the mind retreats to the puriitat, the soul stops
> cognizing (as in sleep without dreams).
> Best wishes
> EF

Dominik