Medical History

Mary Storm mnstorm at MAC.COM
Wed Oct 29 14:51:32 UTC 2008

Dear Dan,

Thank you!  I shall try to find this article. This volcanic theory
sounds very interesting.

I suppose the East to West theory rests on the notion of the origins
of the black rat vector and if that is challenged then the whole East
West spread is questionable, but there are Ibn Battuta's descriptions
from 1345 in South India, and then the subsequent stories of the
Genoese ships sailing from Kaffa in the Crimea in 1347, that support
this particular narrative.

I know there is now also a lot of speculation that the 14th c. plague
was not even necessarily yersinia pestis. It is astounding that there
is still so much speculation for one of the world's worst disasters.

I shall continue, I am very grateful to all of you who have provided
clues...

All Best,
mary

Mary Storm, Ph.D.