Sanskrit and Tamil question

Dean Michael Anderson eastwestcultural at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 22 08:13:27 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 10/13/08, Michael Witzel <witzel at FAS.HARVARD.EDU> wrote:

>What I  would like to see (no time myself now) is that someone would
>go through Burrow-Emeneau's DEDR and eliminate all late loans words,
>from Skt, Prakrit, even Munda....And then investigate the rest.

Dear Michael and group,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm traveling these days.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever looked into computerizing some of this process. It seems some of these proposed loanwords use apparently simple algorithms. I'm thinking, for example, of your work and that of Kuiper's in locating non-IE words in the Vedas.

Of course, there is always the computer principle of GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. While I'm not at all suggesting that this work is garbage (I didn't make up the acronym!), the general principle is a good one: that a computer only does what we tell it to and so our preconceptions used in programming can color our results. But it seems a computer might be useful at least in making a first pass over the data.

Regarding paradigms, I'm thinking not only of y'all's work on Indic but also the recent work on reconstructing the language of the BMAC. Has anyone looked into the possibility of a model using instead long linguistic time depth and interaction similar to that done with the Native American languages like Iroquois?

Best,

Dean