Interpretation of varn ̣āpatti

George Cardona cardonagj at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Oct 15 13:32:40 UTC 2008

Dear Girish, The Panjika contrasts two views, probably reflecting differences in pronunciation in complexes like    -kn-: (a) a transitional sound with nasality (as for -n-) but without voicing (as for -k-) comes between -k- and -n-, so that the 'twin' (yama)  is said to be an augment (aagama); (b) -k- changes to become (aapadyate) a twin sound, a nasalized unvoiced segment.  I think this is what is meant and hope it helps.  Regards, George Cardona