Did Emeneau make plans for a DED3? (Re: Sanskrit and Tamil question

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Tue Oct 14 09:16:16 UTC 2008

As a side information concerning this thread,
it may be useful to re-read the reviews which appeared in Language
when the DED, the DEDS and the DEDR were released.

The one by Bh. Krishnamurti:

Reviewed work(s):
A Dravidian Etymological Dictionary by T. Burrow ; M. B. Emeneau
Source: Language, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul. - Sep., 1963), pp. 556-564

Stable URL: <http://www.jstor.org/stable/411145>

The one by William Bright:

Reviewed work(s):
A Dravidian Etymological Dictionary: Supplement by T. Burrow ; M. B. Emeneau
Source: Language, Vol. 45, No. 3 (Sep., 1969), pp. 680-683

Stable URL: <http://www.jstor.org/stable/411453>

The one by Sanford B. Steever

Reviewed work(s):
Toda Grammar and Texts by Murray B. Emeneau
A Dravidian Etymological Dictionary by T. Burrow ; M. B. Emeneau
Source: Language, Vol. 61, No. 2 (Jun., 1985), pp. 477-480

Stable URL: <http://www.jstor.org/stable/414159>

Also pertinent for the thread is the review which Emeneau wrote for

Aryan and Non-Aryan in India by Madhav M. Deshpande ; Peter Edwin Hook
Source: Language, Vol. 57, No. 2 (Jun., 1981), pp. 468-470

Stable URL: <http://www.jstor.org/stable/413705>

Did Emeneau, at the time of his death, have plans for a DED3 (or a DEDR2)?

What happened to his unpublished manuscripts?

Thanks for any information on the topic

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (Paris)