Compatible Font for Macs and PCs...

Will Rasmussen will.rasmussen at KCL.AC.UK
Sat Nov 29 09:11:59 UTC 2008

Dear Mary,

I have been using Gandhari Unicode Roman for several years on my Macs
(through several OSX upgrades) and it works very well. However, I
remember having a terrible time getting it up and running at first. I
am very ignorant about the 'behind the scenes' workings of fonts, and
indeed about pretty much everything else to do with computers, but
someone in the IT Department here advised me to install (and actually
installed for me!) something called Easy Unicode Keyboard. Whenever I
use Gandhari Unicode Roman font, I must first switch to the Easy
Unicode Keyboard. (You can access all this keyboard stuff by opening
'System Preferences' and then opening 'International', in the top
'Personal' row of icons. There is also an icon for this in the menu
next to the clock.)

For obtaining Easy Unicode Keyboard, see the following site, which
recommends Andrew Glass' Gandhari Unicode Font (to whom I offer
abundant thanks).
http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/downloads/EUreadme.txt

The following site is helpful for downloading and using the keyboard,
from what I can gather, but again, I am not the person to advise you
further on actually installing and operating it.
http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/easyunicode.php

Please forgive me if all of this information is quite beside the
point, as your problem may be much more complicated both than this
and than I would comprehend!

In any case, please accept my 'Good luck!' from a Mac commiserator!

Best wishes,

Will

--

Dr Will Rasmussen