K. A. Subramaniam Iyer

Donald R. Davis, Jr. drdavis at WISC.EDU
Wed Nov 26 01:25:09 UTC 2008

Ashok,

Actually, it would depend, though I suspect the Rtam issue you mention
would not have the virama/halanta (a superscript crescent in Malayalam).
Old Malayalam script would have rendered it without any such marker, but
some (slightly strange) new script forms will render it with this
crescent. For what it's worth, I think the proper LC transliteration for
both would be:

Old: kŏṭuvāyūr, koTuvAyUr
New: kŏṭuvāyūrȧ , koTuvAyuru

Hope that makes things clear.