two queries

Stefan Baums baums at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Nov 25 06:29:43 UTC 2008

Dear Jonathan,

> I remember reading decades ago a reference in a Buddhist
> text--which I *think* I remember to have been in Pali, of a man
> offering betel to a woman as a sexual overture.

maybe the passage you are thinking of is Ja I 291 ff.
(Aṇḍabhūtajātakavaṇṇanā). There a ‘dhutta’ (rogue) gives
‘tambūlatakkolakādīni ceva nānāpupphāni ca’ (betel and takkola
perfume etc. as well as various flowers) to a ‘māṇavikā’ (brahman
girl), with the result, a page down, that ‘purohite bahi nikkhante
ubho abhiramanti tasmiṃ āgate dhutto nilīyati’ (when the purohita
goes out the two of them dally, and when he came back the rogue
hides himself).

All best,
Stefan

--