two queries

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon Nov 24 19:31:17 UTC 2008

There are several articles on the history of betel by the P.K. Gode reprinted as part of his Kleine Schriften in Studies in Indian Cultural History < http://lccn.loc.gov/70911825 >.  (There are some problems in the proofreading of the t.c., which I had added to our online catalog record.  I mean to get them corrected.)

The subject headings to browse in the LOC or WorldCat catalog that seem to pull up titles on the culture of betel chewing rather than works on the nut and leaf as contemporary economic crops are:

Betel chewing—Paraphernalia
Betel cutters
Betel nut
Betel nut—Pictorial works

A Google Images search on the Linnaean name Terminalia bellerica (variant belerica) produces a good variety of images of Vibhitaka on the tree, fresh, and dried.

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Team Coordinator
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.