digital Sanskrit Buddhist canon:Madhyamakavatara

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Thu Nov 13 11:58:55 UTC 2008

One can hardly overestimate the utility of the "digital Sanskrit Buddhist canon" but its choice of edition may leave a bit to be desired. For the Asokavadaana it depends on the popular Saahitya Akademi edition instead of Cowell-Neil's. There are some emendations in the former that seem unnecessary. I have not checked any other work. DB

--- On Thu, 13/11/08, Peter Wyzlic <pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE> wrote:

From: Peter Wyzlic <pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE>
Subject: Re: Madhyamakavatara
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Thursday, 13 November, 2008, 12:13 AM

Am 12.11.2008 um 19:18 schrieb mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU:

> Can anyone supply the precise source of the first five chapters
> of the Madhyamakaavataara posted on the "digital
> Sanskrit Buddhist canon" site and, I assume, gretil?

As in other cases, the Digital Sanskrit Buddhist Canon seems to rely on the
CIHTS edition:
Candrakīrti:  _Madhyamakāvatāra of Ācarya Candrakı̄rti : root text along
with the autocommentary, chapters 1-5_ / by Candrakirti; restored into Sanskrit,
tr. into Hindi and crit. ed. Tibetan text by Tashi Tsering. - Sarnath : Central
Institute for Higher Tibetan Studies, 2005. - xii, 522 p. - (Bibliotheca
Indo-Tibetica series ; 58)
ISBN 81-8712735-X

All the best
Peter Wyzlic

--
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften
Abteilung für Indologie