women's breasts

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Thu Nov 6 04:41:18 UTC 2008

1)A pleasant irregularity, 2) a convention(lak.s.naa)
No abnormal theory has worked.
DB

--- On Thu, 6/11/08, Tracy Coleman <tcoleman at COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU> wrote:

From: Tracy Coleman <tcoleman at COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU>
Subject: women's breasts
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Thursday, 6 November, 2008, 12:14 AM

Indologists--

I am trying to make sense of two sorts of passages I have encountered in
epic and puranic literature:

1) A woman well beyond her child-bearing years sees her sons after a long
separation, and her breasts spontaneously flow with milk, which the sons
happily drink.

2) Adolescent girls who are not pregnant have breasts (uras) described as
"payodhara."

Is there an understanding, in traditional medical literature or other
works describing the female body, that women's breasts are always filled
with milk, irrespective of pregnancy?

Thank you,
Tracy Coleman
Colorado College