new issue: Vedic Studies 15-1: Vedic pur

Thu May 29 04:03:33 UTC 2008

We are happy to announce the next issue of the Electronic Journal of
Vedic Studies
(EJVS 15-1, May 2008, 1-):

Rigvedisch Pur

by

  Rainer Stuhrmann

It is preceded by an English Summary (see below).

The paper is important as it discusses, philologically, the two kinds
of fortifications that the Rgvedic  Puru and Bharata besieged: first,
stone fortresses in the mountains of the Northwest and then brick
fortifications in the Indus plains. Incidentally, this agrees with
recent discoveries in northwestern Pakistan (Bannu, NWFP, etc.).

Please note the new location (2007 sqq.) of the journal, at the
Laurasian site
(that is dedicated to comparative mythology):

<http://www.ejvs.laurasianacademy.com>

Extract from the Summary:

Mortimer Wheeler, point[ed] at the Aryans immigrating into India and
conquering "walled cities (púr)." At best, he modified his well-known
dictum "Indra stands accused" to that  a "coup de grâce...
"Subsequently, Wilhelm Rau endeavored to show... that  the Vedic
texts ... exclude the identification of the Vedic purs with the
cities of  the Indus civilization.... [Discussion of layout and
nature of purs]...
In the present article, ...   I reach the conclusion that the Indo-
Aryans encountered a extensive front of determinedly resisting purs....

Two originally allied tribes excelled in the conquest of the purs:
the Puru and the Bharata. Divodasa conquered the ...[many] purs of
Sambara in the mountains west of the Indus. His son Sudas became the
famous King of the Bharata ... the victor in the "Ten Kings' Battle"
on the Ravi. He probably was contemporaneous with Purukutsa, who
destroyed the seven "old" purs east of the Indus.

... the conquest of most purs mentioned in the RV took place within
two generations. Kutsa and DivodAsa fought with the purs in the
mountain regions, his son Purukutsa, however, against those in the
plains east of the Indus, while Sudas had to challenge other Vedic
tribes that already were established in the Panjab...

... To my mind, this scenario is not excluded even for the end of the
mature Harappan phase and the beginning of the late Harappan phase
around 1900 BCE.

Michael Witzel