cha

alessandro graheli a.graheli at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 21 10:52:15 UTC 2008

Dear collegue, I have seen the use of the cha-like filler in some
Devanagari mss of the Bhaktirasaam.rtasindhu (1541 CE) by Ruupa
Gosvaaamin. I have a specimen dated 1711 CE, in which it is
alternated with the character ;srii and in which it is written both
with the horizontal bar and without it.  I am still wondering about
the significance  of the character. I expect the character to have a
propitatory meaning, as in the case of ;srii, but do not know of any
such significance of cha in Sanskrit. In this 1711 ms the group stha
is written as scha (this is a feature common to many Devanagari
documents of the same period), and in one Devanagari ms I have seen
dha written as cha. Is it possible that this apparent cha stands for
a tha or a dha (which unlike cha have some known "auspicious"
significance)?

Alessandro Graheli