Early Inscribed Hero Stones in Tamil Nadu

Maheswaran Nair swantam at ASIANETINDIA.COM
Tue Mar 4 17:18:18 UTC 2008

Hello,
I agree with Herman Tieken.
> It would follow that the scibe who was
> responsible for engraving the text could himself neither read nor write.
> He was a stone mason, whose job consisted mainly in copying the letters
> of his examplar, which for him was just a string of images. I, for one,
> am unable to follow Mahadevan where he argues that the inscriptions
> testify to the widespread literacy in Tamilnadu at the period and that
> literacy had spread to all strata (sic) of the population.
True. A present evidence to testify:Today, if you travel from north to
south through NH 47 of India you can see in the boards on the roadside
the name of the place Kanyakumari written as Knyakrmari in Devanagari.
The person who wrote it is a painter who is not capable of taking into
account such mistakes.
Regards
K.Maheswaran Nair
University of Kerala