"homeopathy" in India

Christian Coseru coseruc at COFC.EDU
Thu Jul 17 19:21:05 UTC 2008

Homeopathy is very well established  on the Subcontinent with over 100
institutions granting Bachelor and Doctorate of Homeopathic Medicine
degrees, many of whom have clinics attached (as do many Western
(allopathic) hospitals in India, rather atypically).

The Indian homeopathic doctors I knew while living there in the mid
1990s were very particular about distinguish their practice from that
of allopathic doctors. Many medical professionals (trained in Western
medicine) often prescribe homeopathic remedies for chronic conditions,
but I am pretty sure they too are careful do distinguish homeopathy
from other (mostly indigenous) systems of traditional medicine (e.g.,
Ayurveda).

It's possible that some Indian physicians may use the term
"homeopathy" in the generic sense Allan suggested. My impression is
that most apply it only to homeopathically trained professionals.

Christian

Christian Coseru, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Philosophy