Tamil Seminar---places still free...

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 18 03:59:25 UTC 2008

Tamil Seminar---places still free...

My colleague Eva Wilden has asked me to forward this announcement to
the list :

Classical Tamil Winter Seminar in 2008

Organised by the Pondicherry Centre of the École française d’Extrême-
Orient

from 11th February to 7th of March 2008

The Pondicherry “Classical Tamil Winter Seminar” is back on schedule
and will take place for the 6th time in February 2008. This time, as
in 2005, there will be two levels, for beginners and advanced
students. The text we propose to read for the first week is a little
known Akam anthology in VeNpaa metre, the AintiNai Aimpatu, one of
the PatinenkiizkkaNakku, the 18 minor classics. As the title
indicates, it comprises only 50 verses, so we will easily be able to
read the whole text. Like many works of its kind, it has not been
edited often, commentaries are late and meagre and translations do
not exist at all. Morphology, syntax and vocabulary are somewhere
between those of the early classical and the bhakti stages of the
language, and the author takes a certain amount of liberty with the
older thematic conventions. Since we are fortunate in having access
to a number of manuscripts, we will try to improve on the transmitted
text and therefore also have some discussion on what improving an old
Tamil text might mean. The second week will be dedicated to the 5th
and v7th decades of the PatiRRuppattu, the small Cankam anthology
dealing with the deeds of the Ceera dynasty. In the following two
weeks, we shall return to more familiar territory to examine selected
episodes from a text every student of Tamil ought to be acquainted
with, the Kampa RaamaayaNam. The work is a 12th-century late-comer in
the annals of poetry and has been ignored by the commentators of
grammar and poetics, but it is one of the most popular classics of
today.

Detailed program on the EFEO website under: http://www.efeo.fr/
ctws_2008/index.htm

Please contact : wilden.eva at gmail.com (putting administration at efeo-
pondicherry.org in copy).

Dr. Dominic Goodall
Head,
Pondicherry Centre,
Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient ("French School of Asian Studies"),
P.O. Box 151,
16 & 19, Dumas Street,
Pondicherry 605001,
INDIA