More on Bangladesh and the Mus ée Guimet

Geoffrey Samuel SamuelG at CARDIFF.AC.UK
Thu Jan 17 05:19:23 UTC 2008

Unfortunately it is not true that the stolen objects were soon
recovered, at least not in an intact form. See the following article
from the Daily Star (4th Jan 08), which has a photo of the head of
the smashed Vishnu image:

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=17754

Geoffrey Samuel

* * *

Stolen Artefacts : Vishnu's torn face recovered from Aminbazar

Kailash Sarkar

Three more fragments of the stolen statues the 'Bust of Vishnu' and
the black-coloured 'Vishnu' were recovered from Baliarpur of
Aminbazar dump yard yesterday.

The Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) recovered the face and a fragment of
left hand of the 'Bust of Vishnu' and a piece of the basement of
black 'Vishnu'.

Md Aminul Huq of Rab-1 said: "We along with Dhaka City Corporation
(DCC) employees have so far recovered 45 fragments of the broken
statues."

Swapan Kumar Biswas, acting keeper of the National Museum, who
detected yesterday's recovered fragments at the Rab-1 office, told
The Daily Star: "This is a major recovery of the broken 'Bust of
Vishnu'".

About 20 percent of the statue has so far been recovered, while the
recovery of the 'Vishnu' is very insignificant, he added.

According to eyewitnesses, the fragments of brown-coloured 'Bust of
Vishnu' grew pale.

Talking to The Daily Star, Gazi Abdul Mannan, deputy assistant
director of Rab-1 who led yesterday's drive, said: "We found the
fragments by digging out at least four layers of the garbage.

"Other fragments were also recovered from the spot yard and all the
pieces were found within 30-40 yards. The remaining pieces might be
hidden there."

Rab-1 sources said they also recovered two other fragments of the
'Bust of Vishnu' on Wednesday and 28 others on December 28.

The two priceless artefacts were stolen on December 21 from the Zia
International Airport (ZIA) while these were on way to France for an
exhibition.

Rab personnel have so far arrested 27 people in this connection and
of them three -- former lawmaker Anwara Begum, Abbas Ali, alleged
ringleader of "Abbas-Nasir" smuggling gang of ZIA, and Nasir Uddin --
were placed on a three-day remand.

The rest have been sent to the prison.

Sub-inspector Monu Sohel Imtiaz of Airport Police Station, also the
investigation officer (IO), said: "The three-day remand ends today
[Thursday] and they will be hauled before the court tomorrow [Friday].

"There have been major developments following the interrogation and
we are now looking for some other persons. Our higher authority will
decide whether to remand them further."

Maj Md Aminul Huq of Rab-1 said: "We're hunting for Mohammad Ali, who
was a sweeper of the civil aviation and was sacked for his illicit
activities, and Razzak, who is involved in smuggling at ZIA."