query (kiSore baDavA yathA in MBh)

Richard Mahoney r.mahoney at ICONZ.CO.NZ
Fri Feb 29 10:09:39 UTC 2008

Dear Reinhold,

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 21:45, Gruenendahl, Reinhold wrote:
> Richard Mahoney wrote:
>

> On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 15:54, Maheswaran Nair wrote:
> > Dear List members,
> > Please help me locate this in the Mahabharata:
> >
> > kiSore baDavA yathA
>
> For what its worth a quick search of the IeB Philologica version
> (http://philologica.indica-et-buddhica.org/
> <http://philologica.indica-et-buddhica.org/> ) of the Mahabharata and
> Ramaya?a turned up the following:
>
> Mahabharata:
>
>  04,003.003d*0072_001 nadu??as ca bhavi?yanti kisora va?ava api
>
>  04,003.003d*0074_001 na ma? paribhavi?yanti kisora va?avas tatha

> What is advertised here as "the IeB Philologica version" comes remarkably
> close to the GRETIL version launched in 2003:
>
> http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gret_utf.htm#MBh
>
> In fact, I consider it identical, unless Richard Mahoney can point to an
> independent source of this version integrating constituted text, star
> passages and appendices, with exactly the same references. So the lines in
> question could have been found there, too, without registration and
> circumstance.

I am somewhat confused by your comments Reinhold. It goes without
saying that the IeB version of the MBh  -- and of the Ramayana -- is
derivative. This would be obvious to all users and is clearly
acknowledged on the site whenever the text is cited, e.g.:

``Mahābhārata - Book I: Philologica Indica et Buddhica transcript  ::
[word count] [mbh-01-tei5]. Base edn: Bhandarkar Oriental Research
Institute. Base e-texts: Muneo TOKUNAGA, John SMITH, Bhandarkar
Oriental Research Institute, et al.. Conversion to TEI markup: Richard
MAHONEY.''

Likewise credit is given in the headers:

``The author would like to express his deep gratitude to Prof. Dr Muneo
TOKUNAGA and Dr John SMITH for permitting him to produce a TEI version
of their base e-texts and for allowing the TEI version to be publicly
searchable.''

As indicated my own contribution in all this is to have marked up the
MBh &c. according to the guidelines of the Text Encoding Initiative
(TEI) (http://www.tei-c.org/) and then to have provided a full text
search, retrieval, and analysis system for the TEI version.

I am a little perplexed. Have I missed something?

> P.S. I haven't registered for "IeB Philologica" so far, but Richard Mahoney's
> hint has aroused my curiosity.

By all means. I look forward to your comments.

Kind regards,

 Richard

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org
Indica et Buddhica: Materials for Indology and Buddhology
Scholia: http://scholia.indica-et-buddhica.org/
Tabulae: http://tabulae.indica-et-buddhica.org/