Sankara's Bhaja Govindam

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Wed Feb 27 14:43:53 UTC 2008

About the diversity of recensions, see
Chinmayananda (?)' s introduction, pp. 4-5:

Taking  the opening stanza as a refrain or chorus
to be chanted for emphasis at the end of the
following verses, tradition has it that the
immediately following twelve stanzas were given
out by the Aacharya himself. They together go
under the name Dvaada/samañjarikaa Stotram [it is
the second part which bears the same title in the
Kodungallur edition, versus thus the first 12
stanzas here]. Very contagious must have been the
Teacher's inspired mood and the exploding poem,
that each of his followers, at that time in his
company, contributed a stanza of his own, and
they together stand under the title Caturda/sa
mañjarikaa Stotram. After listening to all the
verses, /Sa;nkara blesses all true seekers of all
times in the last four stanzas. [which makes the
31 stanzas of the edition] (...)
In some editions of this poem Moha Mudgara, we
have less number of stanzas; in some, the
sequence of stanzas is different; in some, the
second half of one stanza is read with the first
half of another stanza
(...) though it is classified as a devotional
song (stotram), the chorus alone can be truly
designated as a prayer verse.

>It's interesting to note that the meter of the
>Bhaja Govindam, maatraasamaka, is identical to
>the earliest Tamil meter, akaval, which is
>attested at the beginning of the common era and
>perhaps before.
The verb akavu means to sing or dance, and an
akavanmakaL (akaval woman) was a female bard who
told the future.  One can suppose that the meter
was used by the PaaNan or bard caste (paN is the
old Tamil word for raaga) when they were
performing, at which time they were often
possessed.  Like maatraasamaka, akaval is
comprised of lines of 16 syllabic instants
divided into groups of 4 each.  Akaval is an
extremely flexible and eloquent meter.  Because
in Tamil some of the long or shorts are made by
position, it does not have the sing-song rhythmic
quality of the Sanskrit equivalent. The Tamil
meter is adorned by many rhythmic and other
enhancements that do not exist in Sanskrit.