Sankara and the Authorship Issue

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Tue Feb 26 00:48:18 UTC 2008

Am 25.02.2008 um 21:33 schrieb Yaroslav Vassilkov:

> By the way, dear colleagues, do you know any publications bearing
> on the poem "Bhajagovindam", or "Mohamudgara", attributed to
> Shankara (except N.M.P.Mahadevan's foreword and commentary to his
> English translation?

(Disclaimer: I don't have Mahadevan's book at hand, so I don't know
what he says in this case.)
There is a text different from the "Bhaja Govindam" hymn also called
"Mohamudgara". I may be wrong but it seems to me that it is a more
recent phenomenon to call "Bhaja Govindam" by this name, too (which
is rather confusing). While "Bhaja Govindam" is clearly a devotional
hymn (and longer), the "other" Mohamudgara is not devotional at all
(shorter, but with a differing number of verses in the manuscripts).

The first edition (so far I know) of the "non-devotional"
Mohamudgara  was published by William Jones in Asiatic(k) Researches,
vol. 1, p. 35 seq. (Sanskrit in Bengali characters with accompanying
English translation), and later reprinted in the Collected Works of
William Jones. I have seen it in the French reproduction by Louis
Langlès in: Recherches asiatiques ou mémoires de la société
établie au Bengale / trad. de l'anglois par A. Labaume [et al.] - T.
1. - Paris : Imprimerie Impériale, an XIV = 1805, p. lxxxi-lxxxv

It seems this Mohamudgara was quite popular among 19th-century
indologists; so, this small work has been dealt with in a number of
works, e.g.

Nève, Felix: "Mohamudgara - le maillet de la folie ou préservatif
contre les illusions humaines, poème sanscrit", in: Journal
Asiatique. - Sér. 3, t. 12 (1841), p. 607-613 [Sanskrit text in
Devanagari, French transl.]  Also in: Nève, Félix: Les époques
littéraires de l'Inde : études sur la poésie sanscrite / par Félix
Nève. - Bruxelles : Librairie Européenne ; Paris : Leroux, 1883, S.
430-434 [transl. only]

Brockhaus, Hermann: Ueber den Druck sanskritischer Werke mit
lateinischen Buchstaben / ein Vorschlag von H. Brockhaus. - Leipzig :
Brockhaus, 1841, p. 85-92: Mohamudgara [Sanskrit in Latin characters
and German transl.]

Haeberlin, John: Kávya-Sangraha : a Sanscrit anthology ; being a
collection of the best smaller poems in the Sanscrit language / by
John Haeberlin. - Calcutta : Thacker, 1847, p. 265  seq.: Mohamudgara
[Sanskrit in Devanagari] (There is an extended version of this work
later published by Jivananda Vidyasagara.)

Müller, Friedrich Max: The six systems of Indian philosophy / by F.
Max Müller. - London ; New York ; Bombay : Longmans, Green, and Co.,
1899, p. 237-239 [Engl. transl. based upon an ed. with Bengali, Hindi
and Engl. transl. by Durga Das Ray, Darjeeling 1888]

According to O. Böhtlingk, Pavel Ya. Petrov reproduced this
Mohamudgara in his Sanskrit anthology:
Петров, Павел Яковлевич: Санскритская
Антология. Отделение I. Казань, 1846

German poetic reproductions:

Bohlen, Peter von: Das alte Indien mit besonderer Rücksicht auf
Aegypten / dargestellt von P. von Bohlen. - Theil 2. - Königsberg :
Bornträger, 1830, p. 375-377

Höfer, Albert: Indische Gedichte in deutschen Nachbildungen / von A.
Hoefer. - Theil 2. - Leipzig : Brockhaus, 1844, p. 151-154

All the best
Peter Wyzlic

--
Peter Wyzlic