bodhisattva/bodhisatva

Acri, A. a.acri at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Mon Dec 22 16:57:54 UTC 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 4:13 AM, Michael Slouber wrote:

> It should be noted that this type of degemination is not at all
> limited to Bauddha manuscripts.
> It is the norm for words like "tattva" to be spelled "tatva" in
> almost every "Saiva manuscript I have seen, and at least one Naa.taka.
> Most of these are from Nepal.  Perhaps someone with broader
> experience can comment if it reaches to other genres and regions as
> well.

This is also the case in the totality of the Old Javanese/Sanskrit
manuscripts (mostly containing "Saiva texts) that i have read.

Perhaps the question might be put in this way: is there any
manuscript tradition, within or without the Subcontinent, in which
the spelling -ttva is implemented with consistency?

Andrea Acri
Kern Institute / Leiden Insititute for Area Studies
Leiden University

> On Dec 20, 2008, at 8:31 PM, JOHN HUNTINGTON wrote:
>

>> My son, Eric R. Huntington, is working on some Newar Sanskrit
>> Manuscripts that are vidhi for  the Vajradhatu mandala. TheY range
>> fro 16th to 19th century and are all fairly good Newar Sanskrit.
>> In them "bodhisattva" is 'usually' (Eric's code for he is not 100%
>> certain) with one t. He doesn't remember any with two t's
>>

>> I would also point out that the mantras for Vajrasattva in the
>> sources that I have looked into are always one t, (e.g., OM VAJRA
>> SA TVA HUM as constructed in Tibetan script.)
>>

>> As we are on a family holiday we are both away from our resources
>> until January, so cannot carry this any farther at this time.
>>

>> What about in Pala Manuscripts?
>>

>> John

>>> Regards,
>>> Sincerely
>>> GIRISH K. JHA
>>> SANSKRIT,PATNA UNIV.INDIA
>>>

>>> --- On Thu, 12/18/08, Dipak Bhattacharya
>>> <dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN>wrote:
>>>
>>> From: Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN>
>>> Subject: Re: bodhisattva/bodhisatva
>>> To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>>> Date: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 3:25 AM
>>>
>>> Dear Victor,
>>> Everyone, including you, has spelt 'bodhisattva'. All the
>>> manuscripts i
>>> have consulted read 'bodhisatva'! I wonder if anyone has given a
>>> thought to if the latter is not incorrect?  DB
>>>
>>> --- On Thu, 18/12/08, victor van Bijlert
>>> <victorvanbijlert at KPNPLANET.NL>wrote:
>>>
>>> From: victor van Bijlert <victorvanbijlert at KPNPLANET.NL>
>>> Subject: Re: questions on bodhisattva vow
>>> To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>>> Date: Thursday, 18 December, 2008, 2:26 PM
>>>
>>> Reading this reaction, I feel tempted to suggest that Allen's
>>> questionscould be posed from the point of view of a recent
>>> convert to Buddhism who
>>> finds certain dogmas difficult to understand as yet. In a more
>>> sociologicalapproach to Buddhist doctrine one could easily
>>> explain these matters. It is
>>> perhaps also necessary to assume as a working hypothesis that these
>>> questions presuppose a unity in Buddhist doctrine which in
>>> reality is not
>>> there. The questions are posed from a background in Mahayana.
>>> The latter may
>>> be a container-concept covering many sectarian differences. This
>>> means that
>>> the ansers to these questions would be manifold.
>>>
>>> I should warn that my replies are those of a non-expert in the
>>> finer points
>>> of Buddhist doctrine.
>>>
>>> Victor van Bijlert

>>> Regards,