bodhisattva/bodhisatva

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 18 15:52:58 UTC 2008

Ah. This may well be (without reading it of course I say nothing), but
irrespective of the history, *within Sanskrit* °satva was, I think it is
fair to say, always understood as °sattva; the question then is simply one
of orthography. But this is far from the only case in which degemination
occurs, another reason to uncouple the question of etymology/history from
that of orthography.

JAS