questions on bodhisattva vow

Tenzin Bob Thurman tbt7 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Dec 18 02:24:31 UTC 2008

Hi Allen,

These questions are raised and debated interminably – supporting the
doctrine that all teachings and theories about the relative reality are
interpretable in nature. They say there are three ways of a bodhisattbva
becoming a buddha, like a cowherd, like a ferryman, and like a king. The
cowherd gets all the herd into the pasture then enters himself, the
ferryman and passengers reach the shore at the same time, and the king
firstr assums the royal position and power, and then lifts his kingdom
into exaltation. The aspirational vow you mention expresses the
sentiment of the former type, but the actual method is to fist become
buddha and then help others become enlightened.

Another way to think about it is that upon attaining buddhahood, one;s
awafreness expands into all three times, an so the future moments of
other beings' attainment of nirvana and buddhahood become present to the
bodhisattva in buddha-transition and so she has no sense of abandoning
them for her own nirvana.

Bob