Kadamba

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Aug 20 20:27:30 UTC 2008

The trouble with Pandanus - which is so excellent in many ways - and with
many other guides in this area, including the indexes to my own book, is
that all the thinking that lies behind a choice of plant identification is
suppressed.  I no longer even look at books that just say X in Sanskrit is
Y in Latin/English.  There's no point.  If the author doesn't share with
you the *thinking* process behind the assertion.

Plant identifications can be made on the basis of many different kinds of
evidence.  There's the anecdotal/historical "snap" kind of evidence, which
is great when you can get it.  There is the opinion of vaidyas, and this
can vary from one locality to another.  There are the Sanskrit nighantus,
and the Amarakosa, that give many useful correspondences and ideas.
There are the Sanskrit words themselves that sometimes contain clues to
the shape, colour or other features of the plant.  There are the remarks
of botanists from Garcia da Orta and van Rheede through Linnaeus, Hooker
etc. through to ethnopharmacologists like R. N. Chopra.  There is the
pharmaceutical consideration, as in discussions of Soma and many other
plants with claimed medicinal effects.  There's the cross-language
coordination of nomenclature.  It goes on.  In actual practice, one does a
kind of triangulation from two or three of these types of evidence to
arrive at an answer.  The good thing is that there's a great deal of
useful scholarship already out there, some of it quite old, that gives
lots of historical background.  Dymock is wonderfully discursive and yet
accurate.  Same for Whitelaw and others.  U C Dutt's little tome is
extremely valuable, and does a much better job of understanding King's
data from the Botanical garden in Calcutta than did dear old Monier
Williams.

So, my point is that producing a database or a book that says "This
Sanskrit thingy is that Latin thingy" just won't do.  At the very least,
the *sources* for making any such judgement absolutely must be given.
Better still, the sources should be summarized and discussed, however
briefly.  Any other approach just adds to the groaning shelves of works
that make only raw assertions.  These add to the confusion, rather than
curing it.

Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk