Clarification about Spoken Sanskrit

Stella Sandahl ssandahl at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Aug 20 13:48:52 UTC 2008

Dear Dr. Ganesan,
Our definition of a 'dead language' is simply not the same. To me a
language is dead when it has a normative grammar which is
unchangeable. In that sense Panini, presumably unwittingly,
assassinated Sanskrit already 500 or 400 B.C.- the most brilliant
assassination in history!
Jan Houben actually proves the point by his statement that "In 1,000
years time, Sanskrit will still be the same, but every other language
will have changed beyond recognition."
A living language changes, a dead one stays the same, regardless how
many journals, articles, literary works etc. etc. are written in that
language. The only "new" thing about the so called spoken (and also
written) Sanskrit is its additional nouns and adjectives such as
bhUmigatena rathenAgataH  "he arrived by the subway train" or
paramANuvisphoTa  "nuclear blast" (I am inventing these) - the Hindi
"paramANu bam" is funnier. Verbal and pronominal endings do not seem
to change. Mummies do not change much either.
As for the Census figures of people declaring Sanskrit their mother-
tongue (or is it not rather father-tongue?) it has to be taken with a
grain of salt. By the way, nobody has so far
explained to me what happened with the 35,601 Sanskrit speakers who
vanished between 1991-2001. Maybe they, like the Malayali poet
Sacchidanandan's dinosaurs "died out
because they spoke Sanskrit"? Who knows?
Rest assured of my devotion to and love for teaching classical
Sanskrit. And please don't accuse me of necrophilia!
Yours
Stella Sandahl
--
Professor Stella Sandahl