Kadamba

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Aug 20 14:32:56 UTC 2008

Many years ago, Daniel Ingalls remarked that he wished to publish a
book of plants with their Sanskrit names, giving pictures and the
like.  I realize we have various databases and books that catalog the
plants of South Asia, but to my knowledge we still have nothing that
is meant for the scholar of premodern South Asia that gives the names
of the plants in classical languages (Sanskrit, Tamil, Prakrit) with
pictures and citations and identifies the plants.  In translating from
Tamil, I find many many plant names (and some fauna also) whose
identification is problematic, and the discussion here on kadamba
shows the same is true in Sanskrit.  I find myself going on the
internet and trying to discover what each plant could be and what it
looks like -- using the Tamil Lexicon for the Latin names.  I remember
one occurrence in the NaRRiNai that describes a plant (I've forgotten
which one and don't have time to look it up), saying it makes a sound
like fingers snapping.  One modern commentator had a completely
different interpretation, and I followed him in translating it --
which led a Tamil journal to criticize my translation.  When I
researched it on the internet I found that indeed the seed pod
explodes -- which means that fingers snapping is the correct
translation.  A comprehensive book -- or better on-line database --
allowing one to look up Sanskrit/Tamil/Prakrit names (and names in
other South Asian languages) would be invaluable.  If someone is
looking for a challenging and fascinating project, this would be a
good one.