Sanskrit speakers in Census of India

Walter Slaje slaje at T-ONLINE.DE
Sun Aug 17 08:09:00 UTC 2008

 "Stella Sandahl" <mailto:ssandahl at SYMPATICO.CA> schrieb:

> According to the Census of India figures for Sanskrit speakers I have
> collected there are some strange figures:

> 1991-2001     -71.5 % decrease

> How come 35,601 Sanskrit speakers disappeared between 1991 and
> 2001? Does anyone have an idea?

The first thing to do should be to call the statistical evidence into question: The census is a matter of statistics.  What do we know about the methodologically sound background of  the 1991-2001 survey? What gives you implicit trust in those figures? Can manipulation be ruled out with certainty? Seeking the support of an independent social scientist with an intimate knowledge of the survey criteria applied during this period as well as the presentation of some hard facts concerning the actual training, the qualification and the reliability of the staff acting on the spot  / "in the field" and their methods of interpretation would certainly be revealing. Yet, basic prerequisites of that sort are clearly unachievable today, so any "idea" about the alleged "disappearance", which may or may not be true,  means juggling with figures and will remain confined to a sphere of  mere speculation.

Best,

WS

---------------------------------------
Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
Hermann-Loens-Str. 1
D-99425 Weimar (Germany)
Tel/Fax: +49-(0)3643 501391
Seminar für Indologie
Institut für Altertumswissenschaften
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Emil-Abderhalden-Str. 9
D-06108 Halle (Germany)
Tel: +49-(0)345-55-23650
Fax: +49-(0)345-55-27139
walter.slaje at indologie.uni-halle.de
www.indologie.uni-halle.de
Ego ex animi mei sententia spondeo ac polliceor
me studia humanitatis impigro labore culturum et provecturum
non sordidi lucri causa nec ad vanam captandam gloriam,
sed quo magis veritas propagetur et lux eius, qua salus
humani generis continetur, clarius effulgeat.
Vindobonae, die XXI. mensis Novembris MCMLXXXIII.