Spoken Sanskrit and Spoken Sanskrit

adheesh sathaye adheesh at OCF.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Aug 13 10:33:20 UTC 2008

Dear Profs. Hart, Nair, and Sandahl, and colleagues,

With all due respect, I find it hard to accept that the construction
of neologisms like 'seva-phala', 'iDDali' or even misuses like
'mahAla' are in any way indicative of 'ignorant Hindutva forces'. It
is not at all uncommon  to see vernacular words or forms used within
medieval Sanskrit manuscripts, and particularly when the concept does
not occur in classical Sanskrit. Certain MSS of zivadAsa's or
jambhaladatta's vetAla-paJcaviMzati, for example, appear to be
replete with north Indian vernacular 'loan-words' and shoddy, Hindi-
or Marathi-based grammatical forms. This is  just the tip of the
iceberg. Moreover, contemporary spoken Sanskrit is quite obviously
and self-consciously a simplification of classical Sanskrit, and this
has been done in order for the language to be more accessible and
appealing to young, twenty-first century students, who WOULD like to
express their thoughts about riding the bus, eating apples, using
computers, and other modern-day activities. It's actually quite a fun
thing to do.

One must, it is true, engage in this linguistic practice knowing full
well that what one is speaking is a hybridized and simplified form of
the classical parole, and this I think is where some of the Hindu
nationalist ideological projects are indeed harmful, as Prof. Nair
points out, in representing spoken Sanskrit to the Indian public as
being both authentic and Hindu. What's most disturbing to me about
the Hindu spoken Sanskrit movement is not how the language is
treated, but how many textbooks attempt to naturalize (and
nationalize) upper-caste, puritanical Hindu practices through
language teaching.

On the other hand, may I respectfully suggest that the idea that the
ancientness of Sanskrit somehow debilitates this language from
accepting neologisms, or makes it useless for expressing modern
ideas, itself might be construed as an act of intellectual violence
on par with 'cutting throats', 'demolishing mosques', or 'raping
nuns'? Clearly, as scholars of classical Sanskrit, we have an
obligation to continue to teach students how to read and understand
kAlidAsa, bANa, or perhaps even the magisterial ZrIharSa--but can
this teaching not occur side-by-side with an acceptance of a
consciously different register of the Sanskrit language, albeit
contrived and manufactured, for contemporary, everyday usage? Perhaps
the latter might serve as a kind of gateway for the former?

with best regards,

Adheesh
--
Dr. Adheesh Sathaye