Spoken Sanskrit

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Aug 11 14:42:29 UTC 2008

Dear Rasik Joshi Tripathi,

I myself spoke Sanskrit for a year with pandits from the Sanskrit
Sanskrit college -- I made sure none of them knew English.  I became
pretty fluent, and was intrigued to discover that my wife, who is
Tamil and has studied Tamil literature thoroughly, could understand us
after a time.  Colloquial Tamil contains thousands of Sanskrit words,
though of course high Tamil uses pure Dravidian equivalents (e.g.
tuuymai for suddam < suddha).  Sanskrit syntax has been deeply
influenced by Dravidian -- and this is even more true of spoken
Sanskrit (bhavaan aagamisyati vaa, where the vaa replicates the
Dravidian interrogative -aa).  This no doubt made it easier for her to
understand.  The Sanskrit used by the pandits had, in my estimation,
very little in common with the language of the person from the
Sanskrit village.  They used the language sensitively, creatively, and
with a full knowledge of all its forms.  I remember once being taken
to task for using too many bhaave constructions, a convenient
workaround that, of course, enables one to avoid remembering all the
various verb conjugations.  It is certainly true that there are many
like yourself who are well-versed in Sanskrit even today.  A Tamil
gentleman living in the Bay Area recently presented me with a
composition -- quite well done -- he had written in Sanskrit on the
Titanic.  He had truly mastered the language.  George Hart