Kyoto-Harvard transliteration

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Sun Aug 3 19:46:17 UTC 2008

Op Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:18:32 +0200 schreef Gérard Huet
<Gerard.Huet at inria.fr>:

> I hope you do not have problems with my transliteration scheme. I call
> it VH encoding. Velthuis is of course the primary author.
> I merely restrict his code to lower case letters, using aa and not A
> etc. It would be unfair to call this the HV encoding because
> of some obscure IE law ...

There's another dialect (or rather: sub-dialect) of V encoding in
existence: it's the Aklujkar-Tubb (or Tubb-Aklujkar?) scheme with
extensions for writing the literary Dravidian languages: ee, oo, _l, _n
and _r. I suppose it ought to be called TAZ ;-) -- Tubb is monosyllabic,
and Aklujkar and Zydenbos look prosodically  identical, but the Z is
historically clearly the latest, represents a junior, and looks best at
the end of the abbreviation.

Why does this exist? TAZ is used for writing a flat ASCII text which can
be converted to a number of other codings (CSX+, Unicode, TeX [codes that
look like \={a}, etc.], and Baraha for Kannada) using filters which I've
written. (Anybody interested? Contact me off-list. You need a Python
interpreter on your computer. This is standard on Mac and Linux systems,
and is available free of cost for Windows.)

RZ