AW: "GRETIL e-library" now open

Rosane Rocher rrocher at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Tue Apr 29 14:12:23 UTC 2008

My pleasure. The Colebrookes formed one of those dynasties in East
Indian service, and commonly get confused. The index to the first volume
of proceedings of the Asiatic Society in Calcutta thoroughly mixes up
the Sanskritist Henry Thomas Colebrooke with his cousin Robert Hyde
Colebrooke, who was surveyor-general of Bengal (and the uncle and also
father-in-law of William Macbean Colebrooke of Ceylon fame). Henry
Thomas also sometimes gets attributed the title of his elder brother,
Sir (James) Edward, and also the misdeeds that caused the latter's
dismissal as Resident of Delhi. My husband and I hope to unravel this
web in our forthcoming biography of Henry Thomas, which is nearing
completion.

All best wishes,
Rosane Rocher