Courtesans

Paul G. Hackett ph2046 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Apr 26 18:54:01 UTC 2008

At 5:01 PM +0200 4/26/08, JN wrote:
>Here's another reference:
>
>   Author :	Sarkar, V. C.
>   Title	 :	Marriage with courtesans in ancient India.
>   Journal:	FS Gode

The full citation is:

H.L. Hariyappa, and Madhukar Mangesh Patkar
(eds.), _Professor P.K. Gode commemoration
volume_  Poona: Oriental Book Agency (1960), pp.
347-349.

but see also the review by Sternbach:

"Professor P.K. Gode commemoration volume
[Review]," JAOS 81(2) [1961]: 154-158, p.158.

Also, there is a wealth of primary sources cited in:

Sukumari Bhattacharji, "Prostitution in Ancient
India," Social Scientist, 15(2) [Feb. 1987]:
32-61.

Although not mentioned in that article, I have
seen references in Tibetan literature to
prostitutes belonging to tantric communities in
India (ca. 8th-9th century), and I would be
interested in hearing about any references
*specifically* discussing the role of
prostitutes/courtesans in Indian tantric circles
should you come across them.

best,

Paul Hackett
Columbia University