Commentaries

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Apr 25 15:43:36 UTC 2008

Dear Friends;

I wonder whether you can resolve a question regarding the Sanskrit
commentarial tradition. We have early examples in the grammatical
tradition of Katyayana and Patanjali. But then I see a hiatus until
about the fifth century, with Sabara; then we get a continuous series
of commentaries in the philosophical traditions, Mimamsa, and from
about the 8th century in Dharmasastra. Besides perhaps the Buddhist
authors, do we have examples of commentaries after Patanjali and
before Sabara?

Thanks.

Patrick Olivelle