buried images

Anna A. Slaczka annamisia at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 24 10:29:48 UTC 2008

Dear Frederic,

I came across this thread only now, so perhaps this information will not be new for you. But, anyway: for some information about burying of images of the lokapalas (the Guardians of the Directions) in the stupas and Buddhist temples of Sri Lanka, see A.A. Slaczka: Temple Consecration Rituals in Ancient India, Leiden: Brill, 2007.
For the issue of human sacrifice (in South Asia; as I see that the thread developed in this direction), you may have a look at: J.E.M. Houben and K.R. van Kooij (ed.): Violence denied: violence, non-violence and the rationalization of violence in South Asian cultural history, Leiden: Brill, 1999.

Best regards,
Anna Slaczka.