buried images

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Mon Apr 21 01:05:13 UTC 2008

While they are exactly "buried" images have often been put into
stupas as part of the relic offerings.

The earliest such that I know of is the Bimran Reliquary from the
first century BCE and the practice continues to the present day with
Tsa-tsa being placed in Stupas

John