buried images

Benjamin Fleming fleming_b4 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 20 21:29:36 UTC 2008

Dear Fred Smith,

There is a description of the burial of the Jagannaatha images in Orissa by
G.C. Tripathi in his article, "Navakalevara", in The Cult of Jagannath and
the Regional Tradition of Orissa, ed. by A. Eschmann, H. Kulke, and G.C.
Tripathi (Manohar, 2005 [reprint of 1978]), pp 225-264, esp. 261.

Although, perhaps not for "prophylactic" purposes, "apotropaic" is something
of a broad category and you might find this relevant.

Regards,

Benjamin Fleming