buried images

ashok.aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 20 17:33:45 UTC 2008

Dear Fred,

As I recall, Phyllis Granoff has referred to instances of buried images in
her writings. Sorry, I cannot provide precise references at the moment.
Whether the instances lend themselves to reading a purpose of the kind you
have in mind must be determined by studying the indications in PG's articles
and in the sources from which she has drawn her information.

Best.

ashok

Fred Smith wrote:

>Does anyone know if there is a history of burying statues or any other sorts of
images in the ground for apotropaic or prophylactic purposes. I came across
references to burying images of Demeter and other goddesses in the Greek (and
Roman) world, and wonder if there is any such parallel phenomenon in India or
Southeast Asia. It seems to me that I have read about this somewhere, but can't
recall where.
<