privative a with finite verb

Bob Hueckstedt rah2k at VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Sep 25 18:34:38 UTC 2007

See Astadhyayi 6.3.73 (72 in Kielhorn's edition of the Mahabhasya)
nalopo na~na.h. The varttika on that sutra calls for the inclusion of
the a-privative even with finite verbs. The Mahabhasya on that varttika
gives as examples:

	apacasi vai tva.m jaalma
	akaro.si vai tva.m jaalma

I do recall seeing such a usage outside grammatical texts, but I don't
recall where.

Bob Hueckstedt