zRSTi-kAla

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen toke_knudsen at MAC.COM
Wed Sep 5 14:03:18 UTC 2007

Dear Indologists,

In the saura-pakSa, one of the classical Indian schools of astronomy,
it is postulated that 47,400 divine years = 17,064,000 of our years
elapsed between the beginning of the kalpa and the commencement of
planetary motion.  This period of time is referred to as zRSTi-kAla.

Postulating this zRSTi-kAla is a mathematical trick, so to speak.  By
delaying the commencement of planetary motion, a mean conjunction at
the beginning of the current kali-yuga is achieved while working with a
certain set of astronomical parameters.

As such, one would not necessarily expect to find this idea outside of
the treatises of the saura-pakSa.  Indeed, I do not know of any
references to this idea outside of said treatises.  However, I am
curious as to whether any of you has come across anything like it in
other types of Sanskrit texts, i.e., a mention of a period of 47,400
divine years or 17,064,000 human years at the beginning of the kalpa,
or something like that.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Toke