Use of Devanagari for Sanskrit

Rosane Rocher rrocher at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Tue Sep 4 20:20:03 UTC 2007

What George says about South Indian scripts goes for Bengali script as
well. I have often wondered why early British Orientalists in Calcutta
adopted - and propagated - Devanagari in preference to Bengali script,
which was - and to a large extent continues to be - the vehicle of
choice for Sanskrit texts in Bengal. For some texts of proven Bengali
provenance, the division between late 18th and early 19th century
manuscripts  in traditional oblong loose-leaf format in Bengali script
for indigenous patrons, and manuscripts in book-style format and
Devanagari script for Western Orientalists is stark. A perhaps not
unrelated question is why Orientalists such as Charles Wilkins and
Francis Wilford sought to go to Banaras to pursue study and research in
Sanskrit when there was a still  thriving Bengali tradition of Sanskrit
studies in Nadiya (Navadvipa), if not in Calcutta. Rosane Rocher