AW: Soteriology of universals

Philipp Maas phmaas at ARCOR.DE
Mon Oct 15 11:52:30 UTC 2007

The notions of generic properties (saamaanya) and individual properties
(vi;se.sa) play a central role in the epistemology of classical
Saa;nkhya-Yoga (cf. Paatanjalayoga;saastra I.7). In contrast to Vai;se.sika,
however, classical Saa;nkhya-Yoga does not regard generic properties as
"real factor[s] in the real world" (Halbfass: On Being, p. 117). In
yoga-epistemology, the determination of saamaanya provides information on
the class membership of a given object, which in turn leads to the
application of a linguistic term. Vi;se.sa, on the other hand, accounts for
the identification of an entity as an individual. Saamaanya and vi;se.sa are
relative to each other (cf. Paatanjalayoga;saastravivara.na ed. Harimoto
177,9-11: sarvam eva hi vastu vastv-antaraapek.sayaa saamaanya.m vi;se.sa;s
ca).

As is well known, liberation from rebirth according to
Paatanjalayoga;saastra results from direct perception of the ontological
difference between the self (puru.sa) on the one hand, and the realm of
matter (prak.rti) on the other (PY;S I.2: sattvapuru.saanyataakhyaati...),
which links soteriology closely to epistemology. Meditation, which at least
with regard of to samaapatti type (Paatanjalayoga;saastra I.41-50),
initially has external things like cows as its object, is not concerned with
the determination of saamaanyas, but with an increasing awareness of
vi;se.sa, which culminates in the perception of the difference of puru.sa
and prak.rti

With best regards,

Philipp Maas