Dinesh Chandra Bhattacharya/Bhattacharyya

Elliot M. Stern emstern at VERIZON.NET
Sun Oct 7 15:04:49 UTC 2007

P.L. Vaidya mentions in the preface to the "History of Navya-Nyaaya
in Mithilaa" by Dineshchandra [sic] Bhattacharya says: "His
contributions on the History of Vaidyaka, Dharma"saastra, Navya-
Nyaaya and Sanskrit Grammar scattered in the pages of different
scholarly journals will immortalise him". I think you will find that
this is one person.

On 07 Oct  2007, at 7:20 AM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> The author Dinesh Chandra Bhattacharyya wrote a number of articles
> on the cultural history of Bengal in the IHQ and similar journals
> in the 1940s, including "New Light on Vaidyaka Literature", "Dates
> of early historical records of Bengal," "Newly discovered copper-
> plate from Tipperah," "Pala chronology—a reply to Prof. Banerjee,"
> "Mandana, Suresvara and Bhavabhuti : the problem of their
> identity," "Sanskrit scholars of Akbar’s time," "Vasudeva
> Sarvabhauma," etc.
>
> The author Dinesh Chandra Bhattacharya  wrote the book "History of
> Navya Nyaya in Mithila" and journal articles on nyaya, Bengal,
> etc., at the same period.
>
> Can anyone confirm or refute whether these are two spellings of the
> name of one person?
>
> I've checked the LC name authority list, and it doesn't deal with
> the -yy- name. SARDS and other sources don't seem to engage with
> the issue.
>
> Best, and thanks,
>
> --
> Dr Dominik Wujastyk