Vedic manuscripts

adheesh sathaye adheesh at OCF.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Oct 1 16:36:35 UTC 2007

Dear scholars,

Based on a set of conversations emerging at Robert Zydenbos's lecture
here at the University of British Columbia last week, I am wondering
if anyone might be able to provide their thoughts and/or references
to scholarship regarding the question of the history of written
manuscripts of the Vedic corpus--specifically the saṁhitā, but
indeed any of the traditional śruti texts.

What is the most current assessment of when Vedic texts began to be
transmitted in writing? What is the earliest "hard" evidence--i.e.,
manuscripts and citations? Where did this first start happening, and
in what scripts? Were some Vedic genres (e.g., Upanisads) more
amenable to being represented on paper? Are there any premodern
(commentatorial) discussions of this issue? And finally, what about
translation? Had the Vedas been translated into vernacular or perhaps
non-Indic languages before European scholarship?

I will be most grateful for your thoughts and bibliographical