Nira-Narsingpur Narasimha, Lakmii-n.rsi.mha-sahasra-naaman

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Nov 13 17:23:21 UTC 2007

I think Ashok would be well-advised to take a look at the Dravidian
Etymological Dictionary before he suggests that niira is not a
Dravidian word.  It is rather strange that after the two language
families (Indo-Aryan and Dravidian) have been intermingled for
millennia scholars are still reluctant to admit mutual influence.  In
fact, the influence is considerable both ways.  I am working through
the Akananuru, one of the Sangam anthologies, and find several IA
words that repeat -- the total number of such words is about 2-3%.
Many are borrowed through Prakrit and, interestingly, there is a
limited number of such words which repeat over and over (e.g. kaamam,
kaalam, tiru < srii).  The fact that this vocabulary is far more
limited than it is even in the Cilappatikaaram is a strong argument
for its date, which is almost certainly 1-3rd century AD.  It might
also be pointed out that the technique of suggestion (called uLLuRai
in Tamil) is far more developed and prevalent than in any major
Sanskrit or Prakrit works.  There are many aspects to Dravidian-Aryan
influence (or, perhaps more accurately, synthesis) than have been
realized and discovered to date.  George Hart