pandal

Maheswaran Nair swantam at ASIANETINDIA.COM
Tue Nov 6 02:40:46 UTC 2007

Hello,
The word pantal - the t is voiced - is still used as such in Malayalam
in the sense of "a temporary roof, a shed, booth, shelter,
  or triumphal arch, esp. for temporary use (at a festival, etc.); a marquee;
a tent or booth for a marriage." Thanneerpantal wherefrom water is
supplied especially in summer, is famous in Tamilnadu.
K.Maheswaran Nair
University of Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram