Soteriology of universals

Som Dev Vasudeva somadevah at MAC.COM
Thu Nov 1 14:45:00 UTC 2007

A belated further ref.:

"saiva tantras have inherited, expanded and re-interpreted the
saa"nkhya system of tattvas, an important category in "saiva
soteriology. The exegetes clearly interpret tattvas as universals
(the situation in the earlier tantras themselves is not so uniform),
Abhinavagupta even approximates Kumaarila's terminology (anugaamin <
anuyaayin, ekavargiikara.na < ekabuddhinibandhana etc.).  For a
fuller discussion see my p.189 ff. in my "Yoga of the
Malinivijayottara", Collection Indologie 97, Pondicherry 2004.

Somadeva Vasudeva
Columbia University
Dept. of Middle East and Asian Languages and Cultures
603 Kent Hall • Mail Code 3928 •
1140 Amsterdam Avenue
New York NY 10027